HTML5 Environment Setup Instructions
Note: For Marakana's public (open-enrollment) classes, HTML5-ready workstations are available for participants. For those that wish to use their own laptops, below is the recommended setup information.
The following software is recommended for all participants’ systems:
- Adobe Acrobat reader (to view the lab PDFs)
- Any one of the following operating systems:
- Mac OS (X 10.x or later)
- Latest versions of all the browsers:
- A Web server
- Recommended: Python version 2.6.x, which includes the packaged SimpleHTTPServer. (Most Mac OS X 10.x already include a version of Python.) Note: the instructor will bring an installable version of Python, which can be installed during the course.
- Alternatively, you can use Apache or Microsoft IIS, but Python is demonstrated in the course. Note: The instructor would like the Python directory added to the PATH system variable so students can simply type "python" in a command prompt and run Python directly (this can be tested by running "python -v")Python 2.x
- The "Open Command Window Here" Powertoy (if on Windows XP):
- A good text or HTML editor, such as:
- Adobe DreamWeaver
- SEEdit (Mac OS)
- TextMate (Mac OS)
- At least 500MB of free hard disk space for use during the course.